July 11th Issaquah Artwalk is today! Plus Silk Bookmark Tutorial.

Hi All!!



I wanted to remind everyone that today is the Issaquah Artwalk from 6-9pm.  There will be live bands, a variety of foods and craft items to purchase - along with the art of course!








Here is a small pile of the painted silk scraps I have


I'm busy getting my paintings ready to show and I'm also experimenting with other ways to use my silk.  I end up with a lot of painted scraps which are quite pretty but very small.  Some I've turned into greeting cards (and I keep using them for gifts so I don't have any to sell), but I have a bunch of even smaller scraps and it's taken me a while, but I finally realized that I can make bookmarks out of them.



The scraps cut into bookmark-width strips



My scraps can be left over from edges of paintings, or torn up paintings that I didn't like, or even my test-strips where I paint samples of the dye to make sure my colors are correct before I put them on my actual paintings.
 So my steps are as follows:
  1. Use MS-Publisher to create bookmarks (I printed my artist logo and name plus contact info on one side and left the other side blank for gluing the silk to)
  2. I ended up with 5 bookmarks per sheet of card stock which I then cut into bookmarks
  3. I cut/tore the silk scraps into bookmark widths
  4. I mounted the silk onto the back-side of the bookmarks.  
  5. I punched a hole at the top
  6. I happened to have silk ribbons left over from a different project which I then added to the top through the hole.  
  7. I added a dab of glue to the base of the ribbons to make sure they didn't slip out (silk tends to come untied!)



I rather like how the bookmarks turned out.  I have a LOT more scraps.. but this was a good start.   I am also toying with using the scraps to decoupage the cover of an art journal... but I haven't done that yet.

Ok back to work!
See you at the Artwalk!
Rebecca






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?