New Collaborative Piece - The Laundry Line

A badly-taken picture of the laundry line picture (in black & white and in color)
These are the 2 slices of the
original inspiration photo.
(I'm currently working on
the right-side photo)



As I mentioned in a previous post, I am supposed to be concentrating on painting a slice of the Laundry Line.  



I was actually able to spend some time on it and have gotten to the point of being almost-done.   I will admit that it has been hard to get motivated to do -- it is not my favorite subject and I just don't find it inspiring. 









Work has begun, the
shirt and blanket are painted
So you're probably wondering why the heck I agreed to do a section of the painting if I didn't care for the picture.  



For 2 main reasons - 1, I like working collaboratively (it's so fun to see how other artists interpret the same image) and 2, I enjoy challenging myself to do something I wouldn't normally do (I think that's how we grow as individuals... by challenging ourselves to step outside of our comfort zones!).



While I don't care for the subject matter, I have managed to find things I enjoy about it (or I wouldn't be painting it at all!).  I do love playing with textures and in this painting, I have hard textures of brick and cement, and then soft textures of fabric to play with. 




Color and texture added to the bricks and cement

I like the fabric's textures because the folds of the fabric is interesting to create using highlights, shadows, and lots of faint color changes.

Next I played with the hard textures. Adding color and texture to the bricks and cement at the top.  That was a LOT of fun!  

Color-play is always enjoyable, but I also experimented with dripping and splattering cold wax (to protect white highlights) and dripping and splattering greys and blacks for texture of the brick.  

I accidentally created a few bigger-splats (which didn't make me happy, but in silk painting - you work with whatever happens!)





My mostly-finished painting
and some of my painting
set-up. (I was at a retreat
and had to squeeze all
of my stuff onto 1 table)


The last part I worked on before I ran out of time, was the wooden beam at the bottom, and some bricks and plants near the wood.  I got the bricks mostly done (I need to put them back into shadows more) and the plants started, but not done.  The wood turned out pretty well (or at least I think it did!). 



So now it's just a matter of finishing the bricks and plants and then figuring out how to get the laundry line in (I thought I preserved the white with cold wax - turns out I didn't).    Then it will be time for steaming, trimming the fabric (because my slice is actually far narrower than I painted), and mounting.  Gotta get it done in the next two weeks because that was our commitment (oh boy). 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?