Skip to main content

New Collaborative Piece - The Laundry Line

A badly-taken picture of the laundry line picture (in black & white and in color)
These are the 2 slices of the
original inspiration photo.
(I'm currently working on
the right-side photo)



As I mentioned in a previous post, I am supposed to be concentrating on painting a slice of the Laundry Line.  



I was actually able to spend some time on it and have gotten to the point of being almost-done.   I will admit that it has been hard to get motivated to do -- it is not my favorite subject and I just don't find it inspiring. 









Work has begun, the
shirt and blanket are painted
So you're probably wondering why the heck I agreed to do a section of the painting if I didn't care for the picture.  



For 2 main reasons - 1, I like working collaboratively (it's so fun to see how other artists interpret the same image) and 2, I enjoy challenging myself to do something I wouldn't normally do (I think that's how we grow as individuals... by challenging ourselves to step outside of our comfort zones!).



While I don't care for the subject matter, I have managed to find things I enjoy about it (or I wouldn't be painting it at all!).  I do love playing with textures and in this painting, I have hard textures of brick and cement, and then soft textures of fabric to play with. 




Color and texture added to the bricks and cement

I like the fabric's textures because the folds of the fabric is interesting to create using highlights, shadows, and lots of faint color changes.

Next I played with the hard textures. Adding color and texture to the bricks and cement at the top.  That was a LOT of fun!  

Color-play is always enjoyable, but I also experimented with dripping and splattering cold wax (to protect white highlights) and dripping and splattering greys and blacks for texture of the brick.  

I accidentally created a few bigger-splats (which didn't make me happy, but in silk painting - you work with whatever happens!)





My mostly-finished painting
and some of my painting
set-up. (I was at a retreat
and had to squeeze all
of my stuff onto 1 table)


The last part I worked on before I ran out of time, was the wooden beam at the bottom, and some bricks and plants near the wood.  I got the bricks mostly done (I need to put them back into shadows more) and the plants started, but not done.  The wood turned out pretty well (or at least I think it did!). 



So now it's just a matter of finishing the bricks and plants and then figuring out how to get the laundry line in (I thought I preserved the white with cold wax - turns out I didn't).    Then it will be time for steaming, trimming the fabric (because my slice is actually far narrower than I painted), and mounting.  Gotta get it done in the next two weeks because that was our commitment (oh boy). 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

I wrote a post on my other blog several years ago, but was just asked to create a new document for the Silk Painters group on Facebook.  So I thought I'd share it here!

Making your own Stovepipe Steamer is relatively easy to do and certainly cost effective!  To buy one new (and made specifically for silk paintings) will easily cost you over $1000 bucks.... but making one yourself can cost under $100 (mine was less than $50!).

I've had several people ask: Why do you want a Stovepipe Steamer?  Can't you just use a pot and steaming basket on your stove?
Both are good questions!
Yes you can use a pot and steaming basket on your stove.  But I personally, don't care for the idea of the chemicals/dyes/etc being in my kitchen. They are NOT good eats (to borrow from Alton Brown). Plus if you use a steaming basket in a pot, you have to constantly watch the water levels.  And you don't have a lot of space, which means you're probably only steaming 1 item at a time.  And …

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade? (a series of 3 tutorial posts explaining how to select a World Globe, make a lampshade, and make a bowl).


Update To Testing Jacquard's New Water-based Resist

I was very excited to test out Jacquard's new Water-based Resist for silk painting.  I've used a variety of resists and each has their pluses and minuses... and this new resist is no different.
On the plus side:
It's premixed and already at a good consistency for applying with an applicator bottle. It drys fairly rapidlyIt repels dye very wellDye painted on top of the line doesn't soak throughOnce dried it can't be scrubbed awayIt is relatively inexpensive and easy to get a hold of (Dharma Trading carries it - as does at least one local store)Dye can be added to it to tint the resistBut there are some issues that I am having some challenges with!  So to be fair, on the negative side: It doesn't always flow out of the applicator nicely and I often get bigger globs (meaning I have a hard time getting nice, crisp edges on my lines!)Along with coming out of the applicator unevenly, it also tends to spread out rather than hold the line which also results in very uneve…