How Do You Get Focused To Create Your Art?

I don't know about you, but there are MANY times when I struggle to create art. Not because I lack inspiration, but because I am usually very limited on time. And when I do sneak a few minutes to create art, I find myself swept away by business needs (updating my blog, Facebook, Instagram etc, or doing taxes and other office work), or I find a million other things in my studio that keep me busy but also keep me from actually creating art (like cleaning up the messes that I have previously left, or playing with new art supplies).  

But then I visited a friend's house  and she has a lovely ceremony she does when she starts art or any endeavor that is creative - she creates an art alter (complete with candles and incense) and invites her muse to join her.  I LOVE that idea!! (thank you Jacquie Calladine, for providing such wonderful inspiration!)   

So I created my own little art alter.  Mine has bits of nature found on walks, bits of the art I've worked on, and bits of things that I love and that inspire me.  So now, when I'm serious about creating art... I make sure my alter looks inviting and then I light my candles and say a prayer or two.  

I'm not sure I believe in Muses per say, but I do believe in an almighty, powerfully-creative God and I know that any talent I possess, has to come from him/her.  So to me, my muse and my God are one and the same... and I absolutely love the idea of fully opening myself to allowing God to inhabit my studio and myself as I create art. The process of lighting the candles and inviting in the muse, makes me hyper-aware that this time should be for creating.  It is easier for me to stay focused when I have that visual reminder that my creativity is active and awaiting use. Plus the candles add a lovely and inviting warmth to the space.  

How do you keep yourself in a creative mindset?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?