2017, The New Year Is A Good Time To Review

Sophie & Kingston
Ready For Xmas
I've taken a month off from posting to my blog and spent a good deal of time during the last month, enjoying time with my family and friends during the winter holidays.  Now that the holidays are over (boohoo), it's time to get back to the business of making art. 

I don't know about you, but it seems like I am always game to review the business-side of my art!  (probably because it allows me to procrastinate instead of actually making art!).  But I do honestly think that reviewing your business once or twice a year is very good idea!  While I am not one for making New Year's Resolutions, I think it's the perfect time to review and making small (or even large) changes.  What do I mean?


Well, I been taking a class from a website called www.ArtistsU.org which has offered some great insight and new ways of looking at myself and my art business.  My little group meets once a month and so far, I've found it incredibly helpful!

For instance... my artist statement and tag line are currently based on being a silk painter.  But I am more than that.  Silk Painting is where I started my life as an artist, but not where I am any more.  Yes, I still paint.  But now I also am making sculptures and I've been moving into other reclaimed fiber media as well.  What was working for Silk Painting doesn't really apply to my sculptures....so it's time to review, edit, and then implement those changes.  

Also, now is a good time to raise your prices for your artwork.  I've spent a good deal of time trying to decide how to price my artwork and last year I finally decided upon a simple price-per-square-inch formula.  Which means I simply need to change that number and the prices will all change accordingly without me having to spend time agonizing about what might be appropriate. 

I just recently changed the artwork on the header of my blog and on my business cards, and I am still pleased with those (except I'm changing my tagline) so those may have to be changed.  And I am reviewing my blog/website and have some pretty big plans for revamping the overall appearance - plans that hopefully will include a storefront (so stay tuned, because that will require a bit more research before I implement that!).

And finally, I am reviewing my business goals.  Those things that I want for my artwork and for myself as an artist.   
My goals for this year sound really simple:

  1. Make Art
  2. Sell Art
  3. Improve My Overall Art Skills 
They sound like such simple goals, but (for me) they will take an amazing amount of time and planning to implement!  However, thanks to the ArtistsU course, I have a much better understanding of how to do those things... and with that, I am looking forward to seeing the changes and growth that this year brings!

I hope all of you have had a wonderful winter holiday and had the opportunity to relax and enjoy.  May the New Year bring renewed hope, prosperity, and fulfillment to you and your families!
From my family to yours, blessings to you all!
Rebecca

Comments

  1. Great resource. I skipped over to their website to see what they were about. I'll be interested to see your next blog post regarding your group and your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wild SnapDragon Studio! I'll be posting an update soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?