Skip to main content

Decisions about what to paint.

Do you have challenges deciding what to paint?  I sure do! I have SOOOO many things I want to paint, it's hard for me to pick just one or two (because I certainly can't paint more than that at one time!).  

This month I've been experimenting with technique while trying to get ready to show at the first Issaquah Artwalk on June 6th, 2014.  I'm hoping to get another 2-4 paintings done in the next 2 weeks, but I'm dithering about what to paint I'll be lucky to get a couple done!

My latest paintings include my Dandelion series and an Iris.  For the dandelions, I wanted to try doing some silhouettes so I could mainly play with background colors.. but ended up painting in the silhouettes rather than leaving them as a black or white image with color all around.  I like how they turned out - but the results are not what I was originally going for.  It will be interesting to see how they really look once they are steamed.   I've done 2 different paintings and a bunch of strips which I'm going to (probably) cut into sections and mount on cards. All of these are (of course) painted upon recycled silk!

My first dandelion painting is Evening Weeds & Wishes done with the idea of the setting sun in mind.  I was mainly playing with dribbling colors and then tipping the painting and moving it around to produce blended colors for the background.  I liked the result and thought the greens looked somewhat like other plants in the background.
Evening Weeds & Wishes. Jacquard Dyes, Resistad, 9"x12"
My 2nd dandelion painting Morning's Gentle Wishes, was done with a similar paint-dribbling technique for the background - but enhanced to make the greens appear more like plants and flowers.  In this painting, the sky is a more typical soft blue of a typical misty morning in the pacific northwest.
Morning's Gentle Wishes
These are just simple dandelion puffs that I drew on with resists so I could play with blending colors.  I will probably cut them up and use the pieces for making greeting cards.  I do like the way they looked and may decide to mount one or two as paintings. 

Dandelion Puffs for cards

My other idea I wanted to try -  was to accurately paint an iris.  Ironically, once I started on the painting, I lost the reference photo.  So I cobbled together other photos to use as references.  Once I was done, I found my reference photo (of course)...and it was NOT what I remembered.  The flower in the picture was red and my color-scheme is yellow and purple.  So I am pretty sure that my painted flower does not exist on earth as I've colored it... but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.   Again, this is not yet steamed, so I am unsure exactly how the colors will appear once it has been steamed.  In this painting, I was experimenting with how dye-set can be used to set colors while still painting.  So I'm unsure how much detail will be retained or lost once steamed. I'll post pictures when it's done and mounted.   This iris will be mounted on a 12"x12" canvas.

Yellow & Purple Iris, Jacquard Dyes, Dyeset, Resistad, 12"x12"
I'll post follow-up pictures to compare the before and after steaming. 


Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

I wrote a post on my other blog several years ago, but was just asked to create a new document for the Silk Painters group on Facebook.  So I thought I'd share it here!

Making your own Stovepipe Steamer is relatively easy to do and certainly cost effective!  To buy one new (and made specifically for silk paintings) will easily cost you over $1000 bucks.... but making one yourself can cost under $100 (mine was less than $50!).

I've had several people ask: Why do you want a Stovepipe Steamer?  Can't you just use a pot and steaming basket on your stove?
Both are good questions!
Yes you can use a pot and steaming basket on your stove.  But I personally, don't care for the idea of the chemicals/dyes/etc being in my kitchen. They are NOT good eats (to borrow from Alton Brown). Plus if you use a steaming basket in a pot, you have to constantly watch the water levels.  And you don't have a lot of space, which means you're probably only steaming 1 item at a time.  And …

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade? (a series of 3 tutorial posts explaining how to select a World Globe, make a lampshade, and make a bowl).

Derwent Academy Online Classes - a fun (and rewarding!) opportunity!

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at Derwent Academy's website - but it is chock-a-block full of information!

Derwent is a company located in the United Kingdom (Great Britain to exact!).  They make WONDERFUL fine-art pencils including: sketching pencils, sketch-wash pencils, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, Inktense pencils (which are a special kind of watercolor pencil), and a variety of other items.

I recently found out that Derwent has an online academy - and that they have a rather fabulous offer
for anyone who's interested in learning more about drawing/art skills.  They currently offer a 6-lesson class to anyone who is interested.  If you complete all 6 lessons successfully, they will send you a 18-piece set of their wonderful pencils!  GOTTA LOVE THAT!!

All that is required is that you follow the general directions given (and they usually give you a choice of what or how to draw).  And that you submit a photo or scanned-image of your work to them f…