Another Favorite Tool For Silk Painting And Other Art Mediums

A frog in a flower, NOT a floral frog! Thank you to Pat Tracy for 
sharing this lovely photo on Paint My Photo's website
This next favorite tool is probably my hands-down favorite!  I've had them for YEARS and never known what to do with them.  They're floral frogs. 

WHAT are floral frogs you ask?  Well they are NOT critters that live in ponds with flowers and go "ribbet, ribbet".  Floral frogs are actually what our parents and grandparents (etc) used to use before floral foam appeared on the horizon. 


I've had mine sitting around in a drawer for years (like 20+!!).  As I started to get into silk painting, I listened to what other artists used tool-wise..and many use cups or vases to hold their paintbrushes.  I ran across my frogs and had an "ah-ha!" moment.  And ever since, I've become even more passionate about my frogs.  

Plastic, metal, and glass floral frogs
I LOVE THEM!!!!  They are vintage, they are funky and cool, and they are pretty easy to find at antique stores and flea markets (usually for not much money... most of the ones I've purchased, I've paid less than $4 for them).


I use them for EVERYTHING I can!  In my studio, they hold my paintbrushes, my pens and pencils, and my sharps (like scissors and x-acto knives).  I went from having too many, to not having enough.  I began to seek them out and covet ones I don't yet have.  I now have another set of them in my craft/scrapbooking room. Bigger ones can hold pretty good-sized markers.  Small ones can hold little items like chalk, toothpicks, and q-tips. 

I have metal-wire frogs, plastic-wire-looking frogs, and glass frogs.  I'm still coveting a few more (for instance I ran across a HUGE metal-wire frog..but it was too expensive for me - but someday .. it's MINE!!).

(By the way, the magnolia painting in the background of the grouped-floral-frogs picture, is my latest silk painting... an exercise in frustration that I may or may not blog about later).

E6000 - another favorite tool!

I will say that many of the frogs have open bottoms...so you do need to slightly modify the frogs if you want to be able to move them around without the items in them slipping out.  I simply cut out cardboard slightly smaller than the shape of the frog and glued it on with E-6000 glue which is yet another favorite tool - how did I ever craft without it??).  Did you know that E-6000 can be removed if necessary? It's strong and flexible and removable (unless you're gluing super-porous things together). Hmm..I think I see another favorite tool post starting!

Anyways...   I've thought about painting the metal floral frogs (and I think they'd be cool painted a fun color), but I love how they look as-is.  So for now, I'm leaving them alone.  


 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?