My Favorite Art & Silk Painting Tools (a series of posts)

I thought it would be fun to go through some of my favorite tools.  I have a lot of different items that I use as a Silk Painter (and for art in general). 
A lovely saki-cup from Uwajimaya's

Today's favorite tool:  The saki cup(s)


My current saki-cup set-up
Yup, saki cups!  I found my original set at a thrift store.  They are perfect for mixing larger quantities of dyes.  They are white so show the true color of the dyes, and best of all....they are ceramic so they clean up easily!  Oh and they are inexpensive - I found more of these lovely cups at Uwajima's which is a wonderful Asian market!  I found that they fit perfectly into mini-muffin tins.  The muffin tins come in 6, 12, or 24 cup sizes.  I use a 6 cup tin when I am at a show demonstrating Silk Painting, and I use my 24 cup tin when I am home.  The tin allows the saki cups to be stabilized (meaning they don't tip over) and I can use the tin to pick up the whole set with dye in them and not spill anything.  Plus as an added bonus, if I do dribble dye over the edge of the saki cup (as I tend to do).. the tin catches the drips.  win-win!
The upper left-hand side of the picture shows the lovely, square-divided ceramic trays which I use often for mixing small amounts of dye







In addition to the saki cups, I've also found that Asian markets have other, equally-lovely, ceramic items which can also be used for mixing smaller quantities of dye or paint (and unfortunately, I do not know their original use).  So I've added these lovely, divided-compartment dishes to my Silk Painting set-up, and I use the all the time!  Since they are also white and ceramic, they also show the dye color nicely and clean-up wonderfully.  

These are today's favorite tools!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?