Skip to main content

Habitat For Humanity Auction

Well I did it!  I finished my first scarf.  And silly me, I decided it HAD to be a hand-painted piece... which resulted in over 50 hours of work! I am SO glad to be done! whew!!!!

I do love what I made... but I think I definitely prefer working on smaller pieces - items meant to be wall-art. 
My official test-piece




I started off doing a test piece - which I am not sure what to do with.  It's really not what I would have done for an art piece..although it's pretty. 








The beginning






This is me at the Fiber 19 spring retreat.  I've begun to work on the scarf. 













The scarf, back in my studio







This is the scarf after probably 30 hours of work.  Each flower takes about 2 hours to complete.  Yes, that's my studio.  And no, I do NOT have a table/workspace big enough for scarfs! 











A close-up of some of the flowers





This is a close-up of some of the flowers.  If you look closely, you can see some of the vein-work details - which added a good deal of additional time to creating each flower.












Almost done!






This picture shows the scarf finished, with the lavendar-grey background painted in.  But it is not yet steamed to set the dyes and remove the wax resist.











It is amazing to me how stressful silk painting can be.  A slip of the paintbrush and you're forced to work with the mistake (because dyes don't usually remove from silk!).  And even when done painting, there is still a chance for the piece to be ruined during the steam-setting process.  So I basically feel like I spend the entire time I'm painting and steaming, holding my breath!  (Hmmm... perhaps I am more of an adrenalin-junkie than I realized!)

The finished scarf. 





After 50+ hours (really about 61 hours), the scarf came out pretty close to how I envisioned.  It's been carefully cleaned, ironed, photographed (of course), packaged, and mailed.  It's now winging it's way to New Jersey.  I wish it well and hope it brings a decent amount of money for the Habitat for Humanity Auction and a lot of joy to the person that buys it!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

I wrote a post on my other blog several years ago, but was just asked to create a new document for the Silk Painters group on Facebook.  So I thought I'd share it here!

Making your own Stovepipe Steamer is relatively easy to do and certainly cost effective!  To buy one new (and made specifically for silk paintings) will easily cost you over $1000 bucks.... but making one yourself can cost under $100 (mine was less than $50!).

I've had several people ask: Why do you want a Stovepipe Steamer?  Can't you just use a pot and steaming basket on your stove?
Both are good questions!
Yes you can use a pot and steaming basket on your stove.  But I personally, don't care for the idea of the chemicals/dyes/etc being in my kitchen. They are NOT good eats (to borrow from Alton Brown). Plus if you use a steaming basket in a pot, you have to constantly watch the water levels.  And you don't have a lot of space, which means you're probably only steaming 1 item at a time.  And …

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade? (a series of 3 tutorial posts explaining how to select a World Globe, make a lampshade, and make a bowl).


Derwent Academy Online Classes - a fun (and rewarding!) opportunity!

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at Derwent Academy's website - but it is chock-a-block full of information!

Derwent is a company located in the United Kingdom (Great Britain to exact!).  They make WONDERFUL fine-art pencils including: sketching pencils, sketch-wash pencils, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, Inktense pencils (which are a special kind of watercolor pencil), and a variety of other items.

I recently found out that Derwent has an online academy - and that they have a rather fabulous offer
for anyone who's interested in learning more about drawing/art skills.  They currently offer a 6-lesson class to anyone who is interested.  If you complete all 6 lessons successfully, they will send you a 18-piece set of their wonderful pencils!  GOTTA LOVE THAT!!

All that is required is that you follow the general directions given (and they usually give you a choice of what or how to draw).  And that you submit a photo or scanned-image of your work to them f…