Skip to main content

Starting a new silk painting - this time it's a collaborative piece (oh my)!

The Laundry Line (to be a collaborative piece)
Yes, that's right... I'm starting a new painting.  It's to be part of a collaborative piece done with 3 other artists (well 9 others actually) from the Fiber 19 Artist Group.  

A picture was selected (The Laundry Line), it was decided that each completed picture would be sized 4 feet wide by 3 feet tall... and that the picture would be divided into 4 slices (with each 4th being 1 foot wide and 3 feet tall).  Names were randomly selected and assigned to a section/slice of the picture.  AND I (stupidly) in my infinite wisdom, signed up to do 2 slices so that there would be 3 whole, completed sets made.  

Each artist is to interpret their assigned piece in their preferred medium.  Although certain marks must line up (the clothes line and the wood), the colors and medium are up to each artist.  It should be very interesting to see the end-results!  We have weavers, painters, quilters, collage-artists, and free-motion sewing artists, just to name a few of the types.

Slices 3 and 4 hung on my display board
(which is actually my daughter's old closet
door with rollers on the bottom!)

I ended up with slices 3 and 4.  Since I paint on recycled silk, my slices will both be silk paintings.  I'm going to paint slice 4 in the traditional serti technique - using Resistad colored with black dye...which will (hopefully) give the appearance of stained glass.  I will then paint slice 3 on silk, using the modern Sistek/Magic-Sizing method (which is a stop-flow method, used with little or no resists).  

I've started on slice 4 and am already experiencing some technical difficulties.  Darn it.   

My test sample - that's not a water
mark, that's black dye bleeding out!
I used Jacquard Red Label (black) dye to color my Resistad.  And while the resist-lines seem to hold back water just fine... the lines themselves are bleeding.  I heat-sat them and then did it two more times to no avail.  The lines still bled.  

So then I did a bit of research and troubleshooting and was advised to steam-set the lines - which would then bond the dye to the silks.  So I did... to no avail.  The lines still bleed.  (picture me pulling my hair and getting SERIOUSLY pissed!!).  
My resist lines on

SO now,  well now I'm taking a break because I'm mad at the darned resist lines.   I did decide that I don't need to be a purist about the slice I'm working on, so I will paint it (and pray the black lines don't bleed too much) - and then I will do a bit of corrective interpretation with acrylic paints once the painting has been mounted on canvas. 

FYI, this particular piece of silk used to be the leg of a pair of pajamas.
(finding used, recycled, or remnant silks in this big of a size, with no seams or other darned hard!). 


Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

I wrote a post on my other blog several years ago, but was just asked to create a new document for the Silk Painters group on Facebook.  So I thought I'd share it here!

Making your own Stovepipe Steamer is relatively easy to do and certainly cost effective!  To buy one new (and made specifically for silk paintings) will easily cost you over $1000 bucks.... but making one yourself can cost under $100 (mine was less than $50!).

I've had several people ask: Why do you want a Stovepipe Steamer?  Can't you just use a pot and steaming basket on your stove?
Both are good questions!
Yes you can use a pot and steaming basket on your stove.  But I personally, don't care for the idea of the chemicals/dyes/etc being in my kitchen. They are NOT good eats (to borrow from Alton Brown). Plus if you use a steaming basket in a pot, you have to constantly watch the water levels.  And you don't have a lot of space, which means you're probably only steaming 1 item at a time.  And …

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade? (a series of 3 tutorial posts explaining how to select a World Globe, make a lampshade, and make a bowl).

Derwent Academy Online Classes - a fun (and rewarding!) opportunity!

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at Derwent Academy's website - but it is chock-a-block full of information!

Derwent is a company located in the United Kingdom (Great Britain to exact!).  They make WONDERFUL fine-art pencils including: sketching pencils, sketch-wash pencils, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, Inktense pencils (which are a special kind of watercolor pencil), and a variety of other items.

I recently found out that Derwent has an online academy - and that they have a rather fabulous offer
for anyone who's interested in learning more about drawing/art skills.  They currently offer a 6-lesson class to anyone who is interested.  If you complete all 6 lessons successfully, they will send you a 18-piece set of their wonderful pencils!  GOTTA LOVE THAT!!

All that is required is that you follow the general directions given (and they usually give you a choice of what or how to draw).  And that you submit a photo or scanned-image of your work to them f…