55 World Globe Bowls UPDATE

Am I up to my ears in globe-bowls? YUP!


I knew it was a lot of work when I agreed to do it, and like all big projects, I'm wondering why the heck I agreed to do this??  CRAZY!

But I am pleased to say that I have been stepping through my to-do list in a timely manner - in spite of working full time, being a mom, a wife, and having lots of extended-family issues (oy).

9/28 update - All bowls have had their final white-paint coats done on the insides!  Labels are being added and I am working on touching up major damage to the map-surface (some of the globes were missing big chunks of map).  But for the most part, they are done - HOORAY!!
So far I've completed steps 1-14 for all 55 bowls! (YEAH!!)
  1. __x_Do I have enough globes? YES.   (Whew!) 
  2. __x_Do I have enough bases? yup.  
  3. __x__Do I have enough hardware DONE .. thought I did. NOPE.  Gotta go get slightly longer screws.... sigh. I thought I had the right size, but didn't take into account that some of the globes actually have an odd curve at the bottom on the inside of the globes.
  4. __x_Cut the globes in half along the equator. Done.
  5. __x_Fix parts that came unglued or are coming apart (Done 9/11/15)
  6. _x__Clean outside of the bowls (in progress) DONE 09/07/15
  7. _x___Sand the edges and insides if needed (DONE)
  8. __x__Apply first coat of paint to the inside of bowls DONE
  9. __x__Sand the insides to knock off any high spots of paint (paper bowls have LOTS of little fibers that stick up ) DONE
  10. __x_Drill holes through all the bases (hooray! I did it using my $3 drill press I found at a garage sale - it worked like a champ!!) DONE
  11. __x__Lightly sand/de-gloss all the bases DONE
  12. __x__Paint all the bases black (per the customer's request) DONE
  13. __x__Seal all the bases DONE
  14. __x__After letting the bases dry for several days, use glue, washers, bolts, and nuts to adhere bases to bowls. DONE
  15. _ DONE___Apply a 2nd coat of paint to the insides of the bowls (and the washers and bolt-heads as well) 9/27/15
  16. __in progress__Touch up outer map if needed (several of the globes have pretty severe damage to the maps). 
  17. __in progress__Add business labels to the bottom of the bases.
  18. __IN PROGRESS__Let dry for several days before packaging for shipping
  19. ____Package for shipping
  20. ____Ship to client
Now I just need to finish painting the insides of the bowls (about 10 left to do - HOORAY!!), let them dry, finish touching up the outer shells if there is a lot of damage, add labels, and then pack & ship.

It's been a marathon - but it's been a fun challenge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?