Is Silk Fabric Organic, Sustainable, and an Eco-friendly Option?

Thousands of Silkworm Cocoons
(Photo courtesy of A of Doom) 
When I started painting on silk, I gave little thought to it's original origin.  And now that I am pretty firmly entrenched in using reclaimed silks in my art, I find that while I personally know I do my best to stay eco-friendly - I have wondered about the processes used to manufacture silks! 

I happened to run across a great post from www.organicclothing.blogs.com about this exact subject.  They supply a LOT of great information.  

I'd highly recommend reading their post "Raw & Organic Silk: Facts behind the Fibers" if you're at all interested or concerned about buying silk fabric or goods. I'm going to be sharing their post with my students.  

They also have a lot of other informative articles - overall I'd say they were a great resource!

OH, and my conclusion to the question I posed (is silk fabric organic, sustainable, and eco-friendly?), is a big MAYBE.  Yes, much of it is... but not all.  And probably less-so when gotten from large manufacturing facilities.   However, when gotten from thrift stores - that's about the best eco-friendly source I know!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Grew Up Near Renton Washington, Maybe You'd Remember This!

So You Want To Make Your Own Vertical Stovepipe Steamer?

So you're thinking of making your own World Globe Bowl or Lampshade?