I knew it was a lot of work when I agreed to do it, and like all big projects, I'm wondering why the heck I agreed to do this?? CRAZY!
But I am pleased to say that I have been stepping through my to-do list in a timely manner - in spite of working full time, being a mom, a wife, and having lots of extended-family issues (oy).
9/28 update - All bowls have had their final white-paint coats done on the insides! Labels are being added and I am working on touching up major damage to the map-surface (some of the globes were missing big chunks of map). But for the most part, they are done - HOORAY!!
- __x_Do I have enough globes? YES. (Whew!)
- __x_Do I have enough bases? yup.
- __x__Do I have enough hardware DONE ..
thought I did. NOPE. Gotta go get slightly longer screws.... sigh. I thought I had the right size, but didn't take into account that some of the globes actually have an odd curve at the bottom on the inside of the globes.
- __x_Cut the globes in half along the equator. Done.
- __x_Fix parts that came unglued or are coming apart (Done 9/11/15)
- _x__Clean outside of the bowls
(in progress)DONE 09/07/15
- _x___Sand the edges and insides if needed (DONE)
- __x__Apply first coat of paint to the inside of bowls DONE
- __x__Sand the insides to knock off any high spots of paint (paper bowls have LOTS of little fibers that stick up ) DONE
- __x_Drill holes through all the bases (hooray! I did it using my $3 drill press I found at a garage sale - it worked like a champ!!) DONE
- __x__Lightly sand/de-gloss all the bases DONE
- __x__Paint all the bases black (per the customer's request) DONE
- __x__Seal all the bases DONE
- __x__After letting the bases dry for several days, use glue, washers, bolts, and nuts to adhere bases to bowls. DONE
- _ DONE___Apply a 2nd coat of paint to the insides of the bowls (and the washers and bolt-heads as well) 9/27/15
- __in progress__Touch up outer map if needed (several of the globes have pretty severe damage to the maps).
- __in progress__Add business labels to the bottom of the bases.
- __IN PROGRESS__Let dry for several days before packaging for shipping
- ____Package for shipping
- ____Ship to client
It's been a marathon - but it's been a fun challenge!