Monday, September 7, 2015

55 Globe Bowls... tick... tick... tick...



Most of my cut globes
The bases with holes drilled in them

9/11/15 update - have gotten all the gluing done (whew!).  Now on to the sanding of the insides and edges.
And on a different note,
The victims and heroes of 9/11 are in my thoughts and prayers today!



Tick... tick... tick... the sound of the clock.  There is NOTHING like a deadline to make you aware of time!  Specifically, how LITTLE time you have to get your project done!


I've created a checklist for myself so I know what I need to do and when I need to have it all done.  I thought perhaps that would help me feel more organized - and it does... but it also feels like I've put a bunch more pressure on myself rather than alleviating it.

  1. __x_Do I have enough globes? YES.   (Whew!) 
  2. __x_Do I have enough bases? yup.  
  3. ____Do I have enough hardware .. thought I did. NOPE.  Gotta go get slightly longer screws.... sigh. I thought I had the right size, but didn't take into account that some of the globes actually have an odd curve at the bottom on the inside of the globes.
  4. __x_Cut the globes in half along the equator. Done.
  5. __x_Fix parts that came unglued or are coming apart (Done 9/11/15)
  6. _x__Clean outside of the bowls (in progress) DONE 09/07/15
  7. ____Sand the edges and insides if needed (in progress)
  8. ____Apply first coat of paint to the inside of bowls
  9. ____Sand the insides to knock off any high spots of paint (paper bowls have LOTS of little fibers that stick up )
  10. __x_Drill holes through all the bases (hooray! I did it using my $3 drill press I found at a garage sale - it worked like a champ!!)
  11. ____Lightly sand/de-gloss all the bases
  12. ____Paint all the bases black (per the customer's request)
  13. ____Seal all the bases
  14. ____After letting the bases dry for several days, use glue, washers, bolts, and nuts to adhere bases to bowls. 
  15. ____Apply a 2nd coat of paint to the insides of the bowls (and the washers and bolt-heads as well)
  16. ____Apply a 3rd coat of paint if needed
  17. ____Let dry for several days before packaging for shipping
  18. ____Add business labels to the bottom of the bases.
  19. ____Package for shipping
  20. ____Ship to client
Coaster holders
Will I get it all done in time - HECK YEAH! I've got to! - There is no choice.. I made a commitment and I will honor it (even if it attempts to kill me).

As a side note, I ended up with all the coaster-holders (coasters are being used as the bowl-bases).  The coaster holders are modern-looking wood with a bit of metal.  I have ten of them...what to do with them?  Then it hit me (duh).... they are perfect for bowl bases too--- just turn them over!

I have quite a few globe-bottoms that are about 1/3 of the globes... and was planning on (some day) making them into bowls as well.  Perfect!  Here's a mock-up of how it'd look.  I think it's pretty eye-catching.  Hopefully someone will want them. :)
Bowl on coaster holder mockup

I just love it when I can fully use items with little-to-no waste (up-cycling at it's best)!








No comments:

Post a Comment